Friday, October 26, 2007

"Excuse me, did you just grope me?"

A Japanese cell phone application released in 2005 to help women fend off gropers on trains has risen to the No. 7 spot on phone application lists.

I can't seem to find any images of what the messages look like, but it goes like this:
1. You're being groped on a crowded train and you can't move.
2. You show the person grabbing you the first message in the series which reads "excuse me, did you just grope me?"
3. If they continue you can press the "anger" button and your phone ramps up the message to "Groping is a crime." The last message is "Shall we head to the police."

This comment thread is interesting/infuriating/funny.


I read about it in the SF Chronicle. The author is Hiroko Tabuchi.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

What if they can't read? That sounds kind of complicated to be useful but maybe people feel it is less confrontational than my method of screaming hysterically and punching them in the face :) Just kidding...sort of.